Sunday, May 4, 2014

Using Podcast in language education

I listened to the Podcast named ESL Podcast 991 – Describing Distances, which talks about a conversation between a man and a woman discussing about the distances. In this podcast there are a lot of vocabulary words that describing the distances. As a future Chinese teacher in China, I found these kind of Podcasts are highly helpful in English education. Take this Podcast as an example, the speakers speak the dialog very slow and clear, which makes it easier for Chinese students to understand as well as practicing their listening skills. Further more, if I am going to teach something about describing distances, I can let the students to listen to the Podcast firstly before our lesson to have a general idea of our theme. There is also a script of the dialog on the website, which helps the listeners to fully understand. 

The explanations of each sentence and each word are very clear and elaborate. This Podcast is just like a short lesson, where the host is the teacher. I will encourage my future students to subscribe the Podcasts they like and listen to them frequently, of course they have to be related to English learning. While they learning new knowledge about English, they also practicing their English listening by listening to the native speakers' pronunciation, which is hard to get access to in China. 


If I can find some good Podcasts, I can use them as the contents to teach in class. Like some passages or dialogues that I can use as materials to assist my teaching. Students can benefit a lot from the Podcasting. 


1 comment:

  1. You could also have students choose their own podcasts from a list that you give them. Then they could report back to the class or write a post on their blog telling if they felt it was worth the time and if they would recommend it to their classmates.

    ReplyDelete