Monday, February 24, 2014

The use of Curationl Tools----Diigo and Scoop it !

In the Mod 4, I got the first access to two curation tools, which are Diigo and Scoop. To understand what is curation, I checked the website given by the professor. "Social media curation is when you filter, select, review and reposition quality content on the web for a specific audience and/or topic."

The two Internet tools are indeed very helpful nowadays because there are a huge amount of resources out there, which can be reached simply by several mouse clicks. Thus, while those materials and resources provide us with extreme amount of information, they also are time-consuming for us to find what we really need.

Diigo is a cloud-base personal information management system, where I can put anything I collected into the cloud named "my library". And I can get access to my collections from anywhere that support Diigo. "Scoop.it" is similar to "Diigo". It is a "semi-automated curation platform. Scoop.it crawls the web according to a pre-determined criteria and then allows the curator to review and reposition the filtered material prior to publishing." By using these two curation tools, I found they are extremely helpful when collecting something on any website. Also, I would like to compare these two tools by their features for you to choose which one to use.

We can use either of them to save any website and articles in order to reach them easily in the future. They all have the function of highlighting text and adding sticky notes. In addition, they provide the feature to let us add annotations to any text. And all the highlights and annotations can be pertained and access by any device you use. Because they have already been saved in the cloud. We can also use multiple tags to the website we saved for us to find them much easier in both tools. Moreover, in both tools, we can copy and paste from original article to appear in comments about site. In both tools, we can also follow others by simply click on the buttons. Of course others can follow us in reverse. 

The slight differences I noticed are as follows. First, in Diigo we can commend on each other's items but in Scoop, we can not commend but only "like" them. What's more, in Scoop I was offered many recommendations related to my topic but in Diigo there was no suggestion.

I think I will continue using both of them because the Diigo is convenient to save website while the Scoop has its advantage in follow others' topics that I am interested in. Thus both of them has some features that I really like to utilize in the future. I believe my life will be much more easier with the help of them.


1 comment:

  1. You may find that over time you prefer one over the other, but you have pointed out that each site offers features that the other one does not.

    ReplyDelete